As the days get shorter and winter slowly creeps closer, it might not be so bad to be stuck at home. Lockdown has made many of us more aware of – and grateful for – life’s little luxuries.
A pile of blankets, a crackling fire (or even a heater) and a glass of something warming in the evening, for example, are just some of the things that make staying home not only bearable, but rather enjoyable.
If your red wine supplies are looking a little low, here are four simple cocktails sure to warm you from the inside out. They’re easy enough to make at home from items we’re pretty sure you have at the back of your pantry too. Go on. Treat yourself!
In a collaboration with Truman & Orange – the distributors of the featured brands – we’re giving away a killer lockdown hamper! Scroll down to learn more.
Recipes to warm your heart!
BRAVE & BOLD
- 45ml Bannerman’s Finest Scotch Whisky
- 2 slices fresh ginger
- 7.5ml fresh lemon juice
- 10ml honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 60ml boiling water
- 3 cloves or 2 star anise (depending on what you have in your grocery cupboard)
- Place all the ingredients into a mug and stir
- Drop a fresh slice of orange into the glass for an extra dose of vitamin C
WINTER SPICED OLD FASHIONED
- 50ml Buffalo Trace Bourbon
- 15ml Winter Spiced Syrup*
- 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
- 2 dashes Orange Bitters
* Mix one part granulated sugar to two parts water and infuse with star anise, cinnamon, all spice and nutmeg
- Stir over ice for slow dilution and garnish with orange peels
- 30ml Kraken Rum
- 15ml Irish Crème Liqueur
- 150ml hot coffee
- whipped cream
- Stir all the ingredients together and top with a dollop of whipped cream
GARDEN TODDY (non-alcoholic)
- 50ml Seedlip Garden
- 20ml fresh lemon juice
- 20ml cloudy apple juice
- 10ml Lemon Verbena Syrup*
* Four cups of caster sugar, 2 cups of water and a handful of lemon verbena. Add lemon verbena and water and bring to the boil. Infuse for 30 minutes and add caster sugar. Leave in the fridge for 24 hours and fine strain.
- Add all the ingredients to a glass mug, stir and enjoy. Garnish with a lemon verbena leaf.
WIN! WIN! WIN!
As your liquor cabinet is probably looking a little sad right now, we’ve decided to lift your spirits with a hamper containing the above brands, valued at around R1300!
1 x Bannerman’s Finest Scotch Whisky
1 x Buffalo Trace Bourbon
1 x Kraken Rum
1 x Seedlip Garden
How to enter
- Follow Truman & Orange and Leah van Deventer on Instagram: @trumanandorange and @leahvandeventer
- Post a pic on Instagram showing us your fave lockdown luxury, with hashtag #LockdownLuxuriesTandO
T’s and C’s
- The competition closes on Friday 5 June at 11pm
- The winner will be notified by DM on Instagram
- The winner must be in Cape Town or surrounds
- The prize will delivered within two weeks
- Entrants must be 18 years and older
- This giveaway is in no way affiliated with Facebook or Instagram